View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusa View Post
I'm planning to do it in 5 riding days, staying in hotels every night, no camping, about 60-75 miles per day.

I'm wondering if I should add another day and do it in 6 days instead of 5.

If you are looking for a work out, you can ride 150 miles all the way to Cumberland, stay in hotel, then ride all the way to DC 180 miles, stay in hotel and ride back to Cumberland hotel, Pittsburgh, or you can do it only to Cumberland and back in 4-5 days.
I did it in 5 days a couple years ago, going 60-75/day. We had good weather (October) and hotel reservations so I guess we lucked out. If you add a rain day, that'd throw your hotel reservations off, I'd think. I would def make reservations unless you plan to carry a tent as backup.

I wouldn't recommend the ultra distance, especially from Cumberland to DC. The trail becomes rougher, muddier and more rutted after Cumberland. A 180 mile ride on that section would absolutely suck. Since these trails aren't paved, anyone's pace will be significantly slower than the tarmac. While pretty, the section from Cumberland to DC wasn't as scenic (to me) as the easier section from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, which is also more smooth.