View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I don’t want to keep tooting the Tesla horn because I know the baggage of the brand, etc. But their charging in the wild is simply the best there is. I think Ford and Rivian now have access to their network but the physical adapters are not all out there yet and there will be a learning curve. Tesla chargers and Tesla cars are designed to work seamlessly by backing into the charging stall. Other brands put their charging ports in different spots. There will be challenges.

As mentioned, it’s like a gas car in the 1920s.

My life with my Model Y is pretty freaking easy (but there are a number of aspects of the car I don’t love as well as many good things too to be fair) and this is largely because charging on a road trip is super simple.

People need to consider their needs with a vehicle and assess their charging requirements with the knowledge that any charger (on a road trip, not a home charger because there are lots of good home chargers that are not Tesla) not branded Tesla is likely going to disappoint in April 2024.

If you’re not a road tripper and you can charge at home for most driving the world is your oyster because home charging is way, way, way simpler for every brand and there are some great brands out there.

I got my Model Y because it more or less duplicated my VW Tiguan in terms of utility and came with a factory trailer hitch receiver with the appropriate electrical connector. If I didn’t have that requirement I would be much more receptive to a different brand. The trailer hitch requirement is for my bike rack, pure and simple. For many trips I can just put the bike in the back with the seat folded down and be on my way. I can put my 57ish road bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. That’s a plus.

This is after all nominally a cycling forum.
We considered a Model Y as you can get them for like $34K now, I know a guy that spent dubble that not long ago. Tesla's are great in MANY ways but they can feel cheep and common, so we wanted to try somthing else.

Our EV charging will be done from home 95%+, so no worries.