View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 11:32 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Sram still has Rival and Apex, Shimano has 105 mechanical, plus robot shifted versions of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Also 11s 105 was roughly $800 USD when introduced in 2015, which is about $1050 now. Ultegra 11s was about $1250 when introd in 2014, about $1650 now. Ultegra grx 12s mechanical is $1167. So pricing for shimano stuff has roughly stayed the same of not gone down for mechanical since they are more invested in electric.

People gonna believe what they want to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
What is “less expensive” mean to you? Is it a $700 current price groupset? $1000? $500?

As mentioned sram has a 1x 12s groupset that’s available for ~950. That’s less than 105 (which is apparently your baseline ) was when adjusting for inflation. And there are 2x12s shimano offerings for ~1200, and 2x12 sram electronic for ~1300. And are you only considering “road” groupsets even though the biggest growth sector is gravel/allroad?

There are clearly still bikes with analogous groupsets at certain price points when compare to past offerings, but they’re no longer solely in the “road” or “road racing” category, they’ve migrated to the gravel to allroad sector. I know it’s a tired analogy, but it’s kind of like saying there are no more affordable sports coupes available for purchase while ignoring the fact that consumer preferences have changed.

And just to further prove the point, how many professional road races are there in the US this year? And how many professional gravel races?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Apex is now hydraulic and 12spd mechanical. It came on the Intense 951 I picked up on sale from Costco for around $1,650 with tax and free shipping. It is a bit clunky compared to the AXS and electronic groups, but the hydraulic brakes are better than the 11spd Force level hydros and now use mineral oil instead of Dot 3. It's a decent groupset for the intended purpose, but certainly not a high end mechanical group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
A quick search shows *new* 2x11 Rival groupsets for $460. A price that hasnt really changed in the ~10 years this group has been available.

How much cheaper do you want it, honestly?

Wow, I clearly opened a wound with my jokingly phrased comments about how each brand views the market right now and whether they have blind spots or not.

Lets all remember that the post where I claim SRAM has clearly said they don't care about offering less expensive options was in response to another poster claiming brands have blind spots when it comes to affordability and access to equipment.

I said SRAM doesnt have this blindspot and is choosing to move in the direction they have been moving.
As for me comment that they dont care about offering less expensive options, well that should be pretty clear based on what they have done over the last 6 years-
- SRAM no longer offers 9sp or 10sp. Even Apex 1 and Force 22 are both 11sp.
- SRAM's lowest level drop bar drivetrain, Apex, has an electronic shifting option and is 12sp.

SRAM does not care about offering less expensive options than what they now offer.
^ this comment can be true, even if some of SRAM's current options are not expensive relative to the rest of the market. It looks like some posters here cant understand that.

If SRAM wanted to offer less expensive option, it would. Its really quite simple. Instead, SRAM decided to stop offering 9sp, stopped offering 10sp, has almost entirely elimintaed rim brake offerings, and decided to offer even its lowest end model with 12sp, hydraulic brakes, and electronic shifting.

Further, if a full Rival mechanical groupset costs only $460(I havent seen that, but I will accept it as true for this comment), then that actually supports my initial comment that SRAM does not care about offering less expensive options that what they now offer.
Somehow that being supportive of my initial comment wasnt noticed.

- My post was not complaining about SRAM.
- My post was not complaining about groupsets being too expensive.
- My post WAS pointing out that bike brands and group brands know what they are doing when it comes to designing and pricing products, and the claimed blind spot does not exist. It isnt a blind spot if it is seen and just not addressed.
- My post WAS pointing out that 2nd tier brands are filling in where main brands no longer offer product.

Wow, that simple pushback on the claim that there is a blindspot and the lower end of the market will be ignored which will make cycling exclusive(even more) was quite triggering. Triggering and really misunderstood.