View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
I was reflecting on this the other day - like, I got my $1500CAD CAAD9 with 105 (Ultegra RD!) back in ... 06? Realistically, I could've kept that thing going with various group and wheel changes until about 2 years ago, but the whiplash at seeing what a modern equivalent would cost ... staggering; maybe 6~9k? That price bracket significantly outpaces inflation, so either the margins on those old bikes were razor thin or we're being bilked as a consequence of easy money that's been flowing at near-zero interest rates since '08 or so.

The more disturbing aspect is how normalized this pricing has become, but I guess you don't notice it with the steady drip of purchases over the course of 20+ years.
I don't can't possibly imagine what $6-9k modern bike you consider to be "equivalent" to a CAAD 9 with 105. You can get a CAAD Optimo rim brake bike with 11 speed 105 for $1625 MSRP. You can get a CAAD 13 disc brake with 11 speed 105 for $2325 MSRP. You can even get a Supersix Evo with disc brake 11 speed 105 for $3,225.

If you're looking at a Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc with 12 speed Ultegra Di2 and carbon wheels (MSRP $8,050) and thinking that's somehow the equivalent of a CAAD 9, then your sense of equivalence is not based on product attributes, engineering costs, or production costs.