View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 05:40 AM

I went and drove some trucks yesterday. Apologies to the OP - not trying to take this over, just adding some data points (and a few questions!).

I really liked the fit and finish of the Chevy and GMC 2500's. I was in the mid trim LT and whatever the GMC version is. Seats were comfortable, updated electronics with CarPlay and all that. Gasser felt like it had plenty of power with the Allison branded 10 speed transmission and of course, the real Allison and diesel had lots of power and torque. $62,000 for the gas, $72,000 for the diesel.

The XLT F250 with the diesel was probably my favorite. And - at $78,000 with "no wiggle room" - the most expensive. Nice inside, although the others were a bit nicer I think - but it felt like it could pull a house over. I appreciate that it, and the others, were not jacked up with huge wheels and tires. I actually work out of my truck and pull a trailer. I'm not looking for attention. Drove the gas version - not enough power. It just felt like my old truck. I could go down to the the XL's on the Fords and be more in the range of the GMC and Chevy, but the interior isn't nearly as nice and seemed dated.

Now - onto buying. They are giving me a good amount ($23,000 - I paid $37,000 7 years ago) for my Ford. There doesn't seem to be any wiggle room in the Fords and the Chevy and GMC, maybe a couple of thousand. Interest rates are not great (I know, historically they are, but in the 80's I was driving a $500 Civic) but I'll pay it off in a year or two. Any thoughts on either pricing or even at least finding invoice prices? I searched for a couple of hours last night and didn't have any luck. I used to be able to easily find invoice and then negotiate from there. Most of these guys have so many incentives out there, they're still making money just over invoice (so I've heard).

Also not decided on diesel vs. gas. Part of me thinks I'll be fine with the GMC gasser towing 12,000 pounds with a gooseneck, but I just don't know. There are a lot of videos out there claiming that the gassers are almost as good. I want to be safe with there horses. Exhaust braking is also a good thing with the diesels.