View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I'm really interested in knowing if there is any truth to the current nutrition having any verifiable performance effect compared to let's say, 10 years ago. Any solid studies which isolates these variables? Not just speculation (without solid data) on how this dual source carbohydrate and isotonic gel with a 0.0 to 1.0 fructose/glucose ration etc etc etc aids in performance/recovery.

I mean all of this sounds good on paper and seems reasonable. But where is the peer reviewed, gold-standard data to back it up? Anecdotes do not count. :-)
The primary factor is that the riders are simply consuming more energy than before. They are taking in amounts of carbs - up to 140-160 grams per hour - that nobody thought possible until recently. 50g per hour was thought to be the max the body could handle. If you feed an engine more fuel, it's going to be able to put out more power.

Additionally, I don't think anyone is doing the low-carb fasted training any more as it's not productive. These two changes will account for a huge amount of the difference in racing we're seeing.