View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Respectfully, you're stretching and reading into my words.

I didn't say a motorcycle couldn't negotiate the corner. I suggested it's line would have been altered by the bumpy corner.

I never mentioned the racers' bike handling skills. I just offered my opinion that tire width/pressure had little or nothing to do with yesterday's crashes.

The lead rider has more options when choosing their line than those that follow. Racing in a pack is much different than riding/racing solo or when following someone single file. The lines may be considerably different for those in the pack. If you've ever raced a road bike, I'm sure you know this.

Greg
I agree with this assessment. It's not exactly the same but we often see when the roads are wet, a whole bunch of riders going through a corner just fine, and then one rider who appears to be cornering just the same as everyone else happens to hit a bit of pavement. That is a little bit slipperier than the rest and slides out. No way to really know in advance.

I think something very similar could have happened here, where there were a few bumps in the road, most of the riders missed them, but all it takes is one rider hitting the wrong bump at the wrong angle to mess up his corner and it can start cascading through the peloton.