View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Resistors don't usually go bad; something else in the circuit typically shorts, drawing too much current through the resistor and overheating it. It's pretty obvious when they burn up. Even though removing the resistors from the circuit is the correct way to get an accurate reading, most of the time if you measure them in-circuit you'll get an accurate reading. You could remove them for measurement then solder them back in after confirming their values. If you replace them be sure to get the same wattage rating as well.

As for the capacitors, you want NON-polarized capacitors as replacements, with a similar voltage rating. It's safe to break them away from the adhesive; you could try heating up the board with a hair dryer to see if the adhesive softens but I'll bet no. I'd cut the leads as close to the capacitor as possible. Then you have something left to pull on if you want to unsolder the through-hole leads, or merely solder the new capacitors onto the leftover leads.
I tried checking resistance while on the board but didn't get readings close to the values printed on the resistors. I got reasonably close readings on the good drivers so I don't think my meter is way off. Will try another just to be sure.

I wondered about voltage ratings on the caps. The existing ones don't have have voltage ratings as far as I can tell. Is a 100V rating likely adequate for the new ones?

I have a Milwaukee heat gun and non contact thermometer that I can use to heat up the board. Any idea of a safe temperature limit to heat to?