View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 08:49 AM

The Dinotte Quad is my light of choice. Last fall I retired my original Quad and returned it for a discount on a new one. In full sun, I always run my Dinotte at the brightest setting. I will not ride without my Quad because I routinely view how the vast majority of traffic will move to the left to avoid me.

Frankly, I don't fully understand the need for the radar equipped lights, and for that matter, a rear-facing mirror. As a long-time cyclist (I'm now 70), I always ride as if there is traffic behind, staying as far to the right as possible. And, I'm definitely more conscious of holding a far-right line when I hear traffic behind.

I had a conversation a year ago with a friend who is a high mileage rider and who has traversed the country twice on a bike. He told me that he would not ride without a mirror because he wants to see traffic coming "too close." I followed his statement by asking him how many times he has riden his bike off the road to avoid a possible hit. His answer, "never."

Yes, I've yelled and thrown my arm in the air (no birds from me) at drivers who have violated the three-foot law (either intentionally or unintentionally), however I've never yet hit the ditch to avoid a bump.

As needed, flame-away and persuade me that I'm uninformed.

Cheers.