View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 12:46 PM

Mechanical Shimano Front Derailleurs--do they just suck? EDIT: No, I do

Its been ~10 years since I've used a Shimano front derailleur--I've been a SRAM road user since 10 speed Force came out and the "yaw" design for the FD is excellent. However, my new bike is disc brake and SRAM does an awful job with hydro discs, so I went with a Shimano R8000 mechanical/hydraulic group on this build.

The brakes are awesome, the ergonomics of the hoods are great, the rear shifting is light and effortless, but that ****ing front derailleur is making me crazy. I'm pretty sure I have it positioned right and adjusted correctly, but I feel like I need to trim the cage position every time I shift the rear because every shift seems to make the chain drag on the FD cage. Its also *slow* to shift, it feels like it takes more revolutions to climb up to the big ring or drop down to the small ring than I'm used to on my other bike. I even experienced a small amount of chainsuck today on my ride as I tried to downshift from the big to small on a hill, I guess I didn't let up on the pressure enough.

FWIW, I consider myself an okay bike mechanic. I worked at a bike shop for several years in college putting together new bikes, and I generally know what I'm doing. Its been almost two decades since that though and I've never encountered one of these derailleurs before now.

So, do these derailleurs just suck, or am I doing it wrong? I have FSA 10/11 speed chainrings on my bike btw, not sure if that makes any difference. I used them on my other bike for a while and they were fine, maybe the Shimano FD is more sensitive?

Lastly, anyone used a SRAM Yaw front derailleur with a Shimano shifter? I'm thinking about trying it if I can't get this one to work the way I want it to.

Edit:it was the chainrings. They're not compatible with the Power2Max spider I was using and the spider put them in the wrong spot.

Last edited by rothwem; 04-11-2024 at 01:42 PM.