View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was thinking of adding Waze to my phone apps, and did some quick searching online to inform myself, only to discover that in the default mode it shows your location on other users' maps.

You can turn this off by "going invisible," but it wasn't at all clear if that was a permanent setting or if one had to do that at the start of every session, which would be a pita. Furthermore, doing so disables a number of other features that have nothing to do with whether of not others can see you. (obviously the system should still be able to provide you with nearly all of it's functionality whether or not your location appears on other people's maps). The whole thing sounded fishy to me, and I interpret the intentional downgrade to mean that Waze doesn't want you to go invisible, which really turned me off the whole thing.

I might have misinterpreted what I saw, or perhaps what I read was wrong or outdated. Would any current users care to clarify the whole privacy issue?

TIA
I swear by Waze and Apple CarPlay, and my Valentine One radar detector and the V1Driver app on my iPhone.

My understanding is that for privacy and security reasons, Waze does not show exact locations of drivers, and there is lag. It is helpful to know if here are other Wazers that have traveled ahead of you so you know that a road has been scoped out.

Last edited by djg21; 03-18-2024 at 06:47 PM.