View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 02:30 PM

I relistened to the podcast myself, as I find it very interesting. And if you never do any type of riding for performance where you are comparing yourself to other riders, I 100% get it. Ride what you like and enjoy it.

To be clear, the podcast is a conversation about a broad range of cycling performance, most of which centers on aerodynamics. So no specific studies were mentioned. The original premise was to compare Nibali's 2014 TdF winning bike to today's bike, but then they sort of veer a little off topic talking generally about bikes.

It is unclear how much is wheels and how much is the frame, but he says that a "stupidly round tube bike" (note-his words not mine) and wheels costs about 100W at 45k/h

Semi aero considered frame and wheels would be 85W

A "good frame and wheels" would be 68W

And with the newest UCI regulations, a newly designed bike like the Simplon Pride 2 would be 55W.

If you were riding box section rims, add 15W to all the numbers above. He also notes that at first disc bikes were less aero than rim brake bikes. But discs allowed wheels shapes to change (mostly wider) which allowed more aero gains so that disc bikes bikes are now more aero than rim brake bikes.

You don't have to ride your bike at 28 mph to take advantage of aero features. During the podcast, he addresses the importance of aero to the everyday rider. He makes the case that it is a bigger advantage to us regular joes than it is to the Pros.

It is a bigger advantage if you are on the course longer. For instance, the pro does a century in 4 hours and you do it in 6 hours, that means you are benefiting the for a longer period of time. Meaning, if aero reduces the power needed by 3%, you get a full 6 hours of 3% reduction which could add up to meaningful time.

His second point to this was that the slower you are, the more you will feel the crosswind effect (what he called sailing) and that the more aero features matter.

He does touch on all things from tires, wheels, kit, helmets, bars, frames, positions. If you are at all interested in riding for performance, it is a great podcast.