View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I'm installing a Phil Wood square taper sealed bottom bracket with British cups.

I think I'm just figuring out that there's a left and right. My cup stock is vintage, no paint tag (that I noticed) to identify one side.

Seems one cup has some markings in the grooves, while the other is shiny. Shiny one go on the drive side? (evidently the paint tagged one goes on the left side)

I'm embarrassed to say how long I've been using PW bottom brackets...but in my defense, most of them were Italian threaded.

On the off chance that someone might have installed steel cups backwards in a Ti frame, how bad would that be? (Not that *I* did anything like that...)
You wouldn't be able to swap the cups on a Brit threaded frame and install on the wrong sides, they wouldn't even start to thread.

Find the cup, w/o the BB in it(tap it off), and see which side it easily starts where, on which side..Get that cup almost all the way in, grease, not locktite.
Then tap the BB into the other cup(grease between cup and BB)..and screw in(right side lefty-righty)..In other words, they tighten toward the back of the frame, loosen forward the front of the frame...Understanding the cups get tight as you press the BB into the other cup while tightening. Why you need two tools, ideally.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-18-2024 at 06:11 AM.