View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 08:11 AM

I don’t want to derail this thread… but boy is it a timely issue for me. In late 2022 I placed an order with a small European builder for medium-reach rim brake road bike frameset, to accommodate up to a 35mm tire. I received the frame in January. I wanted to check clearance so I placed a wheel with a 32mm tire in the rear dropouts- the tire was almost touching the seat tube (maybe~2mm clearance. So I measured the chainstay. It was 10mm shorter than indicated on the CAD drawing, 415 instead of 425! I emailed the builder who initially seemed skeptical but eventually said to ship it back and that he’d correct it (I did wonder how though).
While shipping the frame to me took only 8 days, returning the frame to Europe took 6 weeks, partly due to the frame being routed through LAX (I’m in New York) and then due to customs on his end who wanted to charge him 450 Euros duty on the frame! Somehow after a lot of finagling he got out of that.
Long story short (and not surprisingly) he contacted me to say he can’t fix it and has to build me a whole new frame. He’s just collected the materials and will be starting soon.