View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 04:38 PM

I think the complexity of setting up Di2 is overblown. You only have to do it once and all the new 12s stuff you don't even have to route the shifters - you just have the mechs going back to the battery. That said, nothing is quite as simple as just pressing the sync button until it blinks green but SRAM batteries are annoying.

I have both - a Shimano 11s 2x for road and a Sram 1x for gravel. The Shimano battery basically lasts forever and in the years and thousands of miles I've put in that bike, I've probably charged it enough times to count on my hands. The SRAM battery will just run out without much of an indication and in the past year I've had the bike, I've had a couple instances where it just won't shift. You can check the battery status with the app and I think the mech blinks red when it's low, but how often are you looking at your rear mech when you're riding?

In general though, I like Shimano's ergonomics a bit better and I think it looks better. Shifts a bit smoother and I've only had to adjust it maybe once or twice. It just works. I also like the little secret buttons on the hoods.

However, I did choose SRAM for my gravel bike. I think SRAM's ecosystem is generally more flexible and they have better 1x options. I do think Shimano's 2x system is unbeatable though and I've never used electronic Campy but everything of theirs is not cross compatible even with their own stuff (like you can't mix Ekar with road) and it's all expensive.