View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 05:53 PM

I am a life-long mechanical group guy, but last year, I picked up an Open Min.d. with a Red AXS disc 12 speed. The SRAM AXS stuff was easy to install, and I used an app on my phone to adjust the rear derailleur. You still have to set up the FD correctly with the right height and travel, and the same for the RD. The individual batteries in each shifter (coin type) and derailleurs (rechargeable) haven't been a hassle. I can check the charge state with my phone. It's nice that there are no cables, just two hydraulic hoses. I have a mechanical hydro Shimano group on a gravel bike and I think Shimano road disc braking is better than SRAM, but both still stop.

My Garmin will tell me what gear I'm in if I'm too lazy to look down, battery status, and a "ding" to tell me I'm in the 10. I can add blips to my handlebars as well. With the 12-speed, I run a 10-33 cassette with a 35/48 powermeter. The shifters have a nice shape that fits my hand.

My other bikes have various Campy 10 and 11, an Ultegra 8000 group on my Lynskey, XT mechanical on my MTB, and a mix of Shimano on my gravel bike.

I got the Open because it clears 32s and the Red because it was part of the deal and I haven't regretted it.