View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 09:14 AM

I'm definitely on the side of getting an itch to get rid of things if I'm not using them regularly. I'm pretty time crunched and I can do a lot of the maintenance tasks myself but I really want to do things in a way that I don't waste an excessive time doing maintenance.

I have had 3 bikes the last 8 years. Never more than 3.

All of them got used a fair amount in the last year. My carbon road bike always gets put away for the entirety of the winter and that doesn't bother me. In the past I'd always want to ride a bike like that constantly but these days I'm basically trying to keep it out of the bad weather. It's 8 years old and has not had to have any components replaced. Usually in the past I would never get more than 4 years without having to replace almost the entire groupset due to water & road chemical damage.

My All City Space Horse is basically only for commuting now. I probably only rode it 10-20 days last year.

Last 2 years if you base it on hours I rode my MTB far more than the other 2 bikes. But if you based it on miles I don't ride the MTB very far, most rides on it have quite low average speeds due to the terrain so it looks like I'm not riding it much.

The only thing I am not like this with is my camera gear. That I can let sit. I can't really deal with having much music gear I am not using regularly either. I have 3 guitars and I never go a week without playing all 3 of them even when I'm mostly playing music that is far and away most appropriate on one particular guitar.

Last edited by benb; 03-08-2024 at 09:17 AM.