View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 06:55 AM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'm not sure I could put a figure on it…

My Trek is 32.6cm BB height & 5.9cm drop, which is around where most of the XC bikes are. They have some bikes up to about 36cm height. 4cm wouldn't make much difference in terms of having to apply technique to get more clearance.
We probably ride in the same areas. This is mostly stemming from a discussion from a customer who will be ridding in the Hockomock area. They seem to think that 60mm of bb drop, 311 BB height at 20% sag on a 120 travel Sid with 170 cranks is going to be unridable.

Quote:
Here you will routinely come across places where there are rocks on both sides that are 20"+ in height. There's no way you can ride through them or over them without getting the pedals out of the way.
Had a corner here that no one could get thru without striking this rather odd shaped rock, sometimes a sledge hammer is need for trail maintenance.

Quote:
We have so many of those rocks every trail system has rock walls laced through it from colonial times. The trails will typically cross the rock walls at places where the wall is kind of crumbling but you'll have to very carefully negotiate the rocks if you're not in a position to somehow jump it, which is very rare. We have so many of those rocks every trail system has rock walls laced through it from colonial times.
Not to be “that guy” but most of our stone walls are actually from the merino craze of the Napoleonic era. There’s a neat book “A Change In The Land” that talks about the different eras of New England change going back to the last Ice Age. Another good source are Eric Sloan books, Our Vanishing Landscape is a good one.

Anyhow, we just had a tree come down on one of our walls and with a little smoothing opened up another 3/4 mile loop on our backyard trail.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4BLH...VzeXV6dDdnZHh1

Last edited by Alexi; 03-06-2024 at 07:07 AM.