View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
After spending a career in photojournalism and shooting film, I never, EVER want to go back to it for so many reasons. The chemicals are the main ones. Smelly, unsafe, turned my fingers brown and stained so many clothes. You never forget the frames you lost when you messed up rolling the film onto the developing reel in the dark, or when the loading tube didn't engage properly with the drive shaft in the Wing-Lynch processor and you lost half your 8-roll take from an important football game . . . and the perfect shot you thought you had was always right at the waterline where you could see half of the frame you lost, confirming it would have been a front pager or an award winner if only . . .

If you're a veteran of the film era and want to go back to it, then good luck. If you're younger and have never used film, printing paper, and chemicals, then take my word for it that the old guys telling you about the romance of the "Good Old Days" of film are leaving out an awful lot of frustrating, annoying, and just outright dangerous chemical stuff that you will not enjoy finding out about.

BBD
This right here...I worked professionally for years...ran a darkroom as well printing for others...spent years and years perfecting the Adams zoner method on the perfect black and white...both via camera and then printing...and it took me a long time to give up real film...but I finally realized that these little computer filters really can do it all via light and to just let it go and ease up...that it's ok to let the machine do the work...as for real camera stuff and printing...I just can't imagine what boatloads of D76 might cost now and good paper and all that perfect printing jazz would run...let alone the chemical baths we used to take literally in the darkroom...and actually, if anyone takes it serious and knows what this is about you do most nearly all of your work via a good print in the darkroom...you don't take it for processing...that is a copout...

On the lighter side, have thought about getting one of the Polaroid land cameras for the instant stuff as those take me back to when I started as a young kid and altho pricey for film, kinda fun...

Last edited by cash05458; 03-05-2024 at 04:46 PM.