View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
An associated question:

Does it matter which direction the pads face? They are integral to the pad holder and don't appear to be 'housed'. If I mount them the way they are shown on the Paul web site, with the pad 'arrows' and longer portion of the pad facing to the rear, they hit the inside of the fork when the caliper is opened to get the wheel in.
They are probably directional (i've never tried to reverse them, so can't say for certain). Unfortunately, the pads hitting the inside of the fork is just what they do. If you find the salmom pads don't work well, you can get some different, shorter length pads from swisstop, koolstop, etc. with the standard road brake rim shoe (what I currently use with my racers on the front to avoid the very same issue).

The hackery option to avoid the pads running into the fork would be to simply cut them shorter. I've done this once in the dog days of COVID and found it doesn't impact performance much. If you toe in the pads like recommended, then the back 1/3rd of the pads don't contact the rim to begin with.