View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
As I fool around with the vintage-lite build of my '72 Bob Jackson I currently have a Paul Racer centerpull brake caliper on the front, which replaces the less powerful long reach Tektro 559. I currently have my old Campy NR non-aero brake levers on the bike. Are there vintage levers (aero or non-aero doesn't matter to me) that would have better mechanical advantage and therefore result in more braking power?

Also, the pads are black, not the salmon Koolstop pads shown in the current Paul web store. Would braking (dry conditions, I don't ride this bike in the rain anymore!) be improved by the salmon pads?
On the salmon pads, I don't like them as much as the black. Never saw any improvement in power over the black ones. The black pads don't squeal as much and they last longer, IMO. But, I'm using them with Shimano dual pivot brakes, which have an overabundance of braking power. They could make a marginal difference with your brakes so might be worth a try. Also, How good are your cables? Less friction cables with stiffer housings would make the brakes feel more powerful.