View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so this post has nothing to do with any particular person on this thread..

As I was sitting at lunch thinking about this thread it dawned on me that the whole garage discussion is one of a very privileged position.. and not that owing an EV isn't BTW..

Again, not a dig at anyone who has a EV or a garage to put it in, but having to have a garage to adequately (whatever you want that to mean) charge your EV is a pretty big ask of many (maybe most?) folks in the world.. how many people living in Chicago actually have a garage, regardless if they park their car in it our not?

I say all this since EVs are supposed to be one of the ways forward to help combat climate change..
The real privilege is actually owning your car.

You gotta realize as you drive/cycle/walk around 80% of the sparkly new cars you see are financed. Most of the people need 5+ years to pay them off, a lot of people never really ever get loan free cause they replace the cars before they manage to pay them off and they have revolving loans forever. US consumers have $1.6T of auto debt and the average person is borrowing $40k these days when they buy a new car. Apparently almost 1/3 of buyers trade in a car that they are underwater on the loan on and roll that into the new car.

If you read forums, reddit, etc.. EV fans are definitely part of this insanity, you'll regularly see posts from people who financed a Tesla last year and then changed their mind 12 months later and now they have a Hyundai EV they financed. Then you get people worrying about resale and such as if that matters at all versus just holding onto a car till the loans are a distant memory.

That whole strategy where the car sales guy says not to focus on the cost but to focus on the monthly payment? It seems to work exceptionally well on the average buyer.

Last edited by benb; 01-17-2024 at 03:54 PM.