View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 04:00 PM

Riding composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox_rider View Post
Hot bike, will you mostly ride gravel with this bike?
80% urban / 20% gravel

The 35c makes cruising through most anything you could expect to encounter in urban environments pretty effortless. There's something that feels indestructible on medium width tires on 700c.

I rode for years on 23c, then 25c, and thought 28c was massive. Then I got a Kona Rove, and commuted on 32c, and liked that, my wheel / tire combo at that time were heavy and ponderous.

Getting the reasonably light Paselas on the Easton wheelset, which I built for the 28c Contis in one iteration, was a revelation.

I rode 38c Ramblers on gravel, which were quite good for 700c --- but then I tried 650b on my local roads. In my area, 'gravel' roads often are chunky crushed rock from logging trucks. For harder pack with loose small gravel over top, the 700c/38c+ combo would be the bees knees, and a bit faster.

I did try this... I actually was coasting along on my 700c / 38c wheelset, on a long converted train grade... switching a couple of weeks later to 650b, no coasting. Pretty unbelievable difference. Not sure I would have predicted this if asked previously.

Likely I will build a 650b wheel set for this exact bike for my off pavement excursions. The extra tire volume significantly improved the rougher terrain comfort.

Thanks for asking,

-R

Last edited by Radius PNW; 08-14-2023 at 04:48 PM.