View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpurite View Post
On the start of any ride, I'm at 100% until about the 5 minute mark where all of a sudden, I feel a pain through my clavicle from my left shoulder to my right shoulder, then down my right armpit under the bottom of my right arm, as if someone was giving me a tattoo from my right armpit to my right elbow. It's a slight breathing struggle for a few minutes, with this strange pain down my arm where it hurts to hold the bars. I have been waring and tracking heart rate and it never spikes or does anything strange through this time other than normal ride/workout BPM.

This lasts for a few minutes and then recovers to where I feel almost 100% again for the rest of the ride. There is some residual pain in my right arm for the remainder, but it's not terrible.

I have seen a cardiologist thinking it was heart, and had a cholesterol test, an EKG and calcium test, along with a stress test. Everything came back not only normal but low in many cases. The stress test running on an inclined treadmill couldn't even reproduce the sensation well past my calculated max HR, though I was able to going up the parking lot stairs 5 minutes after the test.

I have low cholesterol, no odd EKGs, low blood pressure, almost no calcium buildup in my cardio system and nothing out of the ordinary that my general doctor or cardiologist could find. They pretty much stopped there and said, "you're fine, it's not your heart." My general MD said it should could be a case of "un-conditioning," which I guess is certainly possible. I love doctors.

Doug
Few more details might be helpful.

Describe the breathing issue that you're having.

Pain toward the outside of your hands (pinky/ring finger?)

What labs came back low?

I have a lot of misgivings about treadmill stress tests (hate them myself), especially in the context of specificity. The problem is that a lot of clinics don't have cycling ergometers, so you aren't going to be able to replicate the stress you're experiencing since you're exercising in a different manner than what produced the original problem.