View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
The 2014-2015 Madone was the first to use the "Virtual Kammtail Foil" frame, which oddly enough looks VERY similar to the newest iteration of Emonda. I remember using 28's on my '14 Madone on narrow rims but 25's were much more reasonable.
Actually, I was thinking about the 2006 Madone. I don't know how the tubes are shaped, but there is a bit of a cutout or fairing-ish structure on the seat tube, and the frame is described as "OCLV 120 Carbon Aero".

So, maybe this is the predecessor to the modern general purpose road race bike that's designed to be aero, not full aero like the current Madone, the Spec. Venge, the Cervelo S5, but still aero-ish like the Tarmac SL7.

But yeah, back to the original question. Modern could be interpreted in so many different ways. I gave one race-focused definition.

If the definition of modern is a performance-oriented road bike that can fit 28mm tires with adequate clearance, then that's actually an interesting criterion all on its own. That type of bicycle only started to become common in the ... late 2000s? Early 2010s? I mean, in some quarters, you could have opened yourself to mockery if you put 28s on the bike in the late 2000s.