View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
That's an older article (2021), and was debunked several places. Here's the Car and Driver version that notes a number of the questionable assumptions:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ost-questions/
Clean Technica--ironically, Jalopnik's sister publication has their debunking here:
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/26...uel-study-not/

In addition to the cost debunking above for costs to install charging at home, we now have a Federal tax credit to cover a significant portion of installing your home charger. That said, I think the calculation about an electric car may well be different by locale and cost of electricity--and of course by the available incentives.

I happened to be banging around on the NY State incentives page this morning--and looking at what is actually available between State and Federal incentives.
  • The New York State Sales Tax incentive on EVs is up to $2000/vehicle--but can only be acquired/used at a New York state dealership.(!)
  • The full amount also is only applied for cars with a range over 200 miles. So no older models/small capacity, which puts you in mid-tier and up.
  • For fun, I was looking at available cars -- (I could search, find and confirm--within reason that the vehicle was in stock at a local NY dealership).
  • I was also interested in getting the full Federal tax rebate of $7500, which excluded some more economical vehicles.
The best deal I was able to find:
  • Nissan Leaf (2023 Nissan Leaf SV PLUS) @ $37,020. MSRP, no markup;
  • The $2000 State tax credit knocks out 2/3 of the total NYS sales tax (8.375% total; we have State, Local and MTA components--Yay NY!)
  • The only incentive we would qualify for would be the 2.9% financing.
  • We would then get the $7500 Federal credit (it looks like our income will be high enough so this will be used),
  • Assuming a roughly $1500 cost for installing a charger, we would get a $450 direct credit for purchasing said charger from our local utility, Orange and Rockland, and the rest would be partially covered by the Federal tax credit for installs. For us, the install would be trivial--we have a driveway/garage, main panel is conveniently located etc.

On the numbers side, we would cover the remainder of the Title/Dealer Prep and balance of Sales tax at closing, plus a $2500 down payment so the monthly payment (5 years) would be $640/mo.

Cost to run said car--this is where it gets complicated. A rough calculation--it would cost us less around 1/2 of what we are currently spending on Premium gas for the mileage we are currently driving--and then there are maintenance charges on the gasser that would no longer apply. On the other side, O&R discounts for charging off-peak so charging costs could well be less etc, so the picture gets more granular pretty quickly.

The second choice that I looked at was a VW ID.4--which would add about $5000 to the costs and a correspondingly higher monthly payment.

Aside from our reluctance to purchase ANY car new (I'm in C40s camp on this, having never purchased a new car), to me it pencils--but it to get the incentives in New York, my choices are being restricted to location-specific dealers so no national shopping for bargains, and to particular models with higher range which (being the anarchist I am) find annoying...

Last edited by paredown; 01-26-2023 at 10:04 AM.