View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
With full disclosure that I haven't read the whole thread...

My wife and I recently had this debate. We're both 'soft green', for want of a better phrase, in our politics, and having an EV very much lines up with our values. We also rarely drive long distances (I have put more miles on my bike than my car since 2019), so the range anxiety factor is less significant.

However, we live in a terrace with on-street parking; it's the price we pay (almost literally) for living in a semi-rural, attractive town that still has fairly fast train access to London. That makes the idea, essentially, a non-starter, as charging any EV at home is totally impractical.

As already noted, the infrastructure is the biggest barrier to take up, especially in urban environments. I suspect that all employers with city-centre parking will eventually be forced to offer a number of charging points (which has begun already, interestingly), but it's still not a wholly satisfactory solution.
The only 'satisfactory solution' is when driving a EV is as convenient as driving a ICE..ie, comparable range, comparable 'refueling' places and compatible time spent doing the above.

LONG way to go..As I mentioned, taking an EV to Holly CO to visit my grand-ma...not really gonna happen.

For right below, yup, lots of 'marketing' going on. People choose to believe what they want..they'll search the inter web until they find something that agrees with their POV and glom onto that. EV are marketed as 'sports cars and trucks', not 'green' cars.
"7000 pound truck that accelerates like a 911"......

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-16-2023 at 08:20 AM.