View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I drove an OG Model S for many years (no autopilot, no seat heaters even!) and traded in for a Model Y in September. Every Tesla now comes standard with autopilot. When set that will basically be a cruise control that will keep the car between the lines and keep you from running into objects (ideally) in front of you. The Full Self Driving is what you pay extra for and the car will follow your navigation, stop at lights, auto lane change, etc. I did not pay for that in mine and probably never will. You can buy the upgrade for one month increments for $200.

I have a long commute to work on 2 lane twisty country roads and will use AP if there is traffic out and I have to drive slowly. The AP drives kind of like a nervous teenager. It will panic and slow down drastically on sharper curves and gets very nervous about cars pulling across the road in the distance. I give it 2 stars on Yelp.

The car on the whole, I like a lot, I'd say even more than I expected. As far as charging, if you're renting at SFO and you're fully charged, you shouldn't have to worry too much about charging. Check to see if your destination has charging and you're probably good to go. One thing I miss about my old Tesla is free Supercharging. I have to pay for that now and it costs about the same as paying for similar range gas. Make sure you download Tesla app before you pick up car.
Good info and thanks. Been driving volvo's excellent level 2 pilot assist since 2016 and excited to see the differences. I am assuming the charging will be easy to find. I'll be in Santa Rosa for a few days and also assuming the hotel will have charging. Also curious if Hertz will charge you to bring it back low on charge and not full of gas?

Been thinking of upgrading my wife's xc90 and now that they are taking orders for the new ex90 that could be her next vehicle.