View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 11:54 PM

Got done with some moderate truing and re-tensioning, a few tighter and looser spokes made uniform.

The twelve driveside rear spokes were at a measly 72kg tension, but the nipples were at their limit and starting to twist. This seems to be all too common with carbon rims, even lubricated nipples resist turning because of their grip in the sockets.

Oddly the front 20 spokes had almost 10kg more tension, and I could see an oily appearance on the carbon near each nipple that didn't appear on the rear rim.

A decent used set of 25mm GP4000 tires went on tightly but by hand over Felt-brand snap-on rim strips. These tires measure 27.3mm inflated to 80psi, (exactly the outer width of the rims). Tire beads popped into place around 70psi
I got mere 60mm stem tubes to inflate, but barely. My spare is my only 80mm stem tube and I can't find my stash of extenders (that I haven't seen in ages).
Some plastic straw material somewhat prevents annoying stem rattle in the rim hole.

I'll probably throw these on my Trek Koppenberg in the morning, hoping the Red calipers can adjust out far enough with standard-thickness carbon pads.

Last edited by dddd; 12-19-2022 at 11:58 PM.