View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 12:56 AM

I followed my wife to the Bay Area at the beginning of Covid, our long transition took several long years living on opposite coasts. As I didn't know what my employment was going to be, we were non-committal in terms of location while she looked for a house to buy. The process involved several good real estate agents, mostly in East Bay but we got good advice about a large geographic range from Richmond to Fremont, East as far as Concord and Pleasanton. We kept an open mind over a year of searching, and eventually settled on a property in San Leandro, just S of Oakland, which may be a "sleeper" option for the OP to consider. The city has a wide range of housing, including some sketchy areas but also some nice, safe and (relatively- it's still Bay Area!) affordable neighborhoods if you're looking to buy- certainly less expensive than equivalents in Berkley or Oakland. The main downside is a dearth of cool restaurants and good grocery markets, but they're not too far away if we're willing to drive a few minutes. The business district of San Leandro feels more small town than Berkley-eclectic, but I like the mix of working class, seniors and young professionals that nearby more expensive areas lack. I'm a 5 min. bike ride away from Chabot park with a big network of trails to tear up on my CX bike with lots of options for daily 1-3hr rides or trail runs, I don't bother with road riding except at low traffic times, but access to the usual East Bay roadie routes is easy from my front door. Plus the micro-climate here, compared to other parts of East Bay, is warmer in Winter, cooler in Summer than parts further East, less foggy than Oakland/Alameda, and definitely more sunshine than SF. I have mixed opinions about the Bay Area in general, but San Leandro is worth a look if you're going to live in the area. And FWIW, investing in a home and "paying yourself" through a mortgage rather than rent ASAP is generally a smart move if you're going to stay in one place long enough to recover the fees. Talk to some real estate agents- the good ones are super valuable allies, know their communities inside and out and can find the best combination of things you're looking for.

Last edited by zennmotion; 08-23-2022 at 01:25 AM.