View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
For the last couple of years, for the daily brew, pour-over has been my jam. Espresso is saved for "special" times.

Anyway, I have experimented quite a bit. Anyone who really loves pour over - would you care to comment on grind size? A micro photo of the grounds would be marvelous.

How do you feel about the relationship to grind size for pour over vs french press?

Interested in thoughts.
There is more to the grinding then just a pour over typical grind.

First off lighter roasted coffee tends to be idea for pour over because the method is slower than say an espresso, and the lighter roast are less porous than darker roasts. Also, with a lighter roast you will need to grind it a bit finer then with a darker roast which needs a courser grind so the contact time with the water is shorter reducing bitterness of a dark roast.

But you're not done yet because the water temp is crucial too with light vs dark roast. A dark roast should have a lower temp so as to prevent over extraction leading to bitterness.

So, you have to play around with the type of roast you prefer to use for a pour over, but generally a pour over is more suited for lighter roasted coffee which will mean using a finer grind with hotter water. Having said that, I have used dark roasted coffee in a pour over, but I simply used a coarser grind and water that has been off boil for 30 seconds.