View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 01:57 PM

Dave what kind of saddle are you using?

I've been tempted to try out something with a cutout lately. For years been on Fizik Aliante, and prior to that, pretty much ran a Concor for many years with only a brief stop on a Turbo (which never quite felt right for me).

No saddle discomfort at pretty much any mileage under 100, so am only looking to try something different for the sake of something different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I think the only way to know if a stubby saddle will work is to try one. I don't think there is a fool-proof way to measure two different saddle styles and have those numbers tell you where your sit bones will land on the saddle...and by extension where this will place your hips compared to the BB.

If you buy a stubby saddle you'll want to mount it in the middle of the adjustment range of the rails and try it. It will take you a little time to find "home" on the new saddle (where your sit bones want to be) and then it will take some experimentation to find where the saddle should be fore/aft to work best for you. You are in effect finding the hip-to-BB and then moving the saddle around so that it ends up in the right place under your anatomy. You will not be able to measure a stubby and mount it to your post in a specific spot and call it good. It will take some experimentation but it can be worth way more then the effort it takes.

I will just add that this is true even when changing from one brand/model of traditional long nosed saddle to another. Measuring brand A set back and then expecting brand B to use the same setback seems like it would work, and you may get lucky, but it's not a true way to measure hip-to-BB setback....which in the end is what we are aiming for.

dave

P.S. - I switched from using traditional long Fizik saddles to a Shimano Stealth a few years back. I had trouble being fully comfortable and the idea of the short/wide saddle was interesting to me so I bought one. I now have one on every bike I own. For me it was a complete game changer.