View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
terrible news.

young male drivers with a fresh drivers license and a powerful car are sometimes just too senselessly aggressive and dangerously reckless behind the wheel.
Although that's certainly true, the kind of reckless stupidity exhibited by the driver is by no means exclusive to that demographic. There's a knee jerk "if something in my way, pass" and considerations like being on a blind curve or the crest of a hill are irrelevant.

There's a road I ride on regularly (no choice, only so many ways out of my small town) with a short, steepish hill on it. On the outbound leg the approach is fairly straight. I use a mirror and check my six to see if anything is coming, if so, I pull over and wait because the road is narrow and there's no room whatsoever for three vehicles (me and two cars) and I don't want to risk it.

On the inbound leg, the hill is preceded by a curve so I can't see if anything is coming. When I reach the hill I "take the lane" if there's a car coming from behind but this doesn't stop people from passing me.

Recently, I was on this stretch, a car came from behind. I was fully in the lane, left of the center of my lane. The car passed anyway. Surprise! A car was cresting the hill coming the other way - who'd have thought? The car passing me literally ran it off the road (fortunately, there's just enough room to avoid a head-on collision). i also dove for the ditch and narrowly avoided crashing.

I crested the hill and saw the car turn. Where did they go? Into an assisted living facility right at the bottom of the hill. I pulled into the parking lot and confronted the driver: a mid-30's nurse that worked at the facility. I was polite but asked several questions of the form "what in the world were you thinking", "was getting here 5 seconds earlier worth my life and yours", etc.

Doubt it had any effect at all.

The event in the article is so sad. A persons life ended for no reason at all other than impatience.