View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Nobody was talking about MTB wheels. Hopefully you haven't "left the main forum yet" I said "Fat or Skinny" "Big or Small" ie. 32 vs 23, 700 vs 650B... same tire, same bike. Miniscule.

If you want to talk about significant differences in speed on a bike vs miniscule differences the order would start with:

1. Body position
2. Clothing (tight fitting vs loose)
3. Body weight (w/kg)
4. Large differences in bicycle weight >2kg
etc. etc.

Agreed?

the difference between a 23mm tire and a 30mm tire is miniscule by comparison, especially when you measure for factors such as hysteresis, advantages of grip while descending etc.

But maybe you're one of the people who believe that 700x20's at 140psi are saving you massive amounts of time vs 700 x 30's. If so, be my guest.
I'm talking about road tires versus gravel tires. I would consider 32c or less slicks to be road tires, and gravel tires are larger than 35c with some tread or slicks exceeding 40c.

A typical road tire could be 25c and a typical gravel tire could be 42c. There is a large difference in aerodynamics and rolling resistance there. Between sub 32c road tires no, there is a small difference like you said.