View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 06:16 PM

Interesting battle heating up over the "face" of the NBA. Seems like change might be imminent. Kyrie Irving is pretty emphatic that the logo honor the Black players who built the league: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kyrie...ilt-the-league.

That seems like the the logical next step. He wants Kobe to face of the league, and that seems to be choice with the most consensus. Kobe wouldn't be my first choice. He wasn't a transformative player either stylistically (Jordan/Curry) or culturally (Iverson).

Here are the top candidates according to gambling odds site BetUS.com.pa.

Bryant +250
Jordan +325
Russell +500
Magic +800
Wilt +800
Bird +1000
Kareem +1500
Shaq +2500
Duncan +2500
LeBron +5000

I think that if the game sought to honor its heritage through one individual, Russell would be the choice. Most championships, consummate teammate, politically active long before most players were comfortable speaking out.

Jordan is the famous basketball player of all time, and he ushered the league into the modern era, so he'd be an obvious choice as well. Ditto with James, who might end up the G.O.A.T.

I love T.D. My favorite player of all time. He's got one of the highest regular season winning percentages in history. But how do you make a flashy logo for "teamwork."

Other choices: Curry should be right up there. Or, they can make the logo the silhouette of the reigning MVP.

Just as long as it's not Shaq.