Thread: GCN - Thots??
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 03:44 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I don't think it works that way. When I cast to Roku, it connects to a specific application on Roku. When I cast YouTube from the tablet, it starts the YouTube app on the Roku. When I cast Netflix from the tablet, it starts the Netflix app on the Roku. If the YouTube or Netflix apps are not presnt on the Roku, I can't cast YouTube or Netflex from the tablet to the Roku.
When I cast from my tablet or phone to the Roku it just mirrors the screen. I just tried it, I started the cast and then opened the YT app and the one on the tablet is definitely the one that's running on the TV.

But....I just noticed that there is a cast icon on the YT app (I never use it, I watch YT in a browser). When I cast by clicking it then it does start the YT app on the Roku. As long as you cast using the phone's cast link rather than the app's cast link it shouldn't start the app on the Roku.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of SlimPort, but after checking the SlimPort web site, it appears my tablet is compatible, so I'll look into this solution.
You need an adapter which plugs into the USB port on the phone/tablet and has an HDMI on the other end. I used one for several years and it worked well. After quick search it seems that they are hard to find but this is available - https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semi...a-450120180904

Quote:
Looking around a bit, it looks like a Chromecast might be another option to cast from a tablet to TV - anyone have experience with GCN+ with a Chromecast?
I have a phone that will only cast via Chromcast. I absolutely hate it, it drops or locks up constantly. I have tried 2 different Chromecast dongles for the TV and both have done the same thing. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it may work for 2-3 weeks before it needs to be reset or may work fine for just 10 minutes.

Last edited by choke; 02-26-2021 at 03:47 PM.