View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Looking back at SRAM purchases, what is their track record? I don't have a lot of experience with some of these products, what do you guys think? Has being purchased by SRAM improved these brands?

My best guesses / opinion

Sachs- SRAM improved
Avid- SRAM back burnered / degraded over time?
RockShox- No idea if they have gotten better or worse after SRAM purchase
Truvativ- SRAM back burnered
Quarq- No idea
Zipp- No idea, Zipp always seemed to have reliability problems.
TIME Sport pedals- TBD
The Avid name was tarnished before they acquired it. The Elixir and Juicy brakes had a horrible reputation. They phased the name out of the hydraulic line with the introduction of the Guide and Level. Both were completely re-engineered. I don't blame them for wanting to drop the name with a fresh re-brand. Ironically enough, the Avid label still exists with their mechanical disc and cantis. I don't think they even do a linear brake anymore (maybe OEM only?)

And Sram has taken RockShox from "just another player" to commanding a large portion of the market. Not quite as much as Fox, but Fox only does suspension. Sram warranty and warranty process is also waaaaay better than Fox. Dealing with Fox for warranty issues left me wanting to throw my Fox stuff in a dumpster. Fox still does the best dropper posts though