View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
OH GOD SRAM IS THE DEVIL!

LOL...

SRAM's design teams and movement into road pushed the hell out of both Shimano and Campagnolo, forcing substantial improvements from both companies in virtually every area.

We can snivel about it and play the forum standard "get-off-my-lawn" all day, but the pedal market has been dead for 10 years. Look have produced a dozen versions of the same pedal for a decade+ (which I like and use), Speedplay for the same amount of time. Shimano have a million patents specifically to fluk over any attempt at improvement (rather than actually building products). Rossi didn't just sell the bike biz and pedal biz because they had a heap of innovation and IP ready to launch...

Here's hoping for a few new things. A pedal woth more solid engagement... A pedal with an option to not have the side to side cleat movement (and easier float)... A pedal with more durable cleats... A pedal with quick service (or fast upgrade) bearings and axle length adjustment...

Ah never mind... Lets just jump back into pissing about [insert brand].
Agree that pedal design really hasn't gone anywhere in the last 10 years or so. Speedplay has a interesting timeline on their website of early clipless pedals that is fascinating. Honestly I can't think of a major innovation that would change the way we look at clipless pedals. A more durable cleat would be at the top of my wish list. Look, Speedplay, Time, Shimano have all been using the same design more or less for a long long time now. But I think you can use the If it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy as well. Look at Shimano mtb spd pedals. Same design going on 25 years now!

Been using Time pedals for a very long time starting with the Equipe pedals,RXS and the Expresso lineups. Have gotten better with each newer generation, but not as durable. With Sram purchase it will be interesting to see how they market Time.