View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
Taste buds....

Getting back to the Handlebar discussion: any other ideas regarding silver, wide, "all day in the saddle" bars?

@JanHeine don't be shy!
In my experience, the most comfortable bars are those that enable different riding positions. Being able to ride more upright when I feel like it, and get more inclined at other times, really helps with long distance comfort. Moving my hands around also helps. So long reach and deep drop work well – but you need to set up the bars so that the most inclined position works for you. Otherwise, you end up with bars that are comfortable only on the tops and on the ramps, and everything else is too far/too low for you. Finally, the shape needs to ergonomic, meaning it needs to match the shape of my hands. That last one is actually quite complex, and the old 'ergonomic' bars that Modolo patented with the flat portion actually weren't ergonomic at all –*your hands aren't flat!

At Rene Herse Cycles, we offer two models: The Randonneur has a slight upsweep which provides a convex shape at the rear of the ramps that fits into the (concave) palm of you hands. That's a supremely comfortable position, but it needs to be 'just right.' Most 'randonneur' bars we've tried were actually less comfortable than standard bars – that's why we developed our own based on a classic design from the days when stages were long and roads were rough. We also gave the 'Randonneur' a little more drop, since it has the upsweep - with the same stem height, the drops will be where they were before, but the ramps will be a little higher. Perfect for long distances. I use those bars for PBP and similar rides where I'm riding at a constant speed for long, long distances.

Our second model, the Maes Parallel has a little less drop and a more conventional shape. It's great for fast-paced rides where you change your hand positions a lot – there's plenty of room to roam. I prefer those on the bike that I ride for a few hours on rides with friends, where I get low when I pull into the wind, but sit up when I draft or when we just roll side-by-side to chat.

Both bars are our own designs, not rebranded products from other makers. We work with the best suppliers to make them, to our own specifications. They are significantly lighter than what you get with other bars from the same supplier, but they meet the highest 'EN Racing Bike' standards for fatigue resistance and strength – as do all other Rene Herse products.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles