View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 05:26 PM

A few years back, my oldest son and I rented a 3rd generation Toyota Sienna in Alaska, removed the rear seats, and van-camped for a couple of weeks. He's 6'9" and had plenty of room to stretch out.

I came home from that trip and sold my '08 FJ Cruiser and ultimately bought two 2nd generation Sienna's with the money. My 2004 had 95k on it and I picked it up for $7000. I had the full service done, including timing belt, for another $850.

My build ran me about $300. I removed all the seats, put down a plywood floor, and built a bed frame. It's perfect for 1, but can accommodate 2...especially if you pack a tent/hammock. The best money spent on other items was for a Caframo 12v fan that draws 1/2 amp, and a supremely comfortable Exped air/foam mattress. I have spent many nights over the past 2 years sleeping soundly in my van after a full day of fly fishing on the South Holston River in TN. I usually stay in campgrounds as I'm fond of showers, but have boondocked lots of places.

The bed platform is easily removed and I have a cargo van for the bikes or whatever. I typically get close to 24 mpg.

My point is you can get into this for a lot less money than many folks think. I'm not ready to give up my home, but for weekend and week long getaways, it's the ticket.

And that son moved to Idaho and bought his own Sienna which he built up incorporating solar and a fridge. We had lots of fun swapping notes and ideas along the way.

Last edited by Exonerv; 09-24-2020 at 08:00 AM.