View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyczo View Post
I think it is just a matter of matching the components to the frame. Older frames look right with older components. Newer frames, especially carbon ones, look right with newer components. Mixing and matching looks weird. No matter how much you like them, those campy parts in the original post would look pretty strange on a new carbon bike.
This certainly isn’t new. I think most of us find vintage Campagnolo components and Klein fades attractive, but nuovo record on a quantum?

I think it can be really fun and attractive to mix era (see previously posted yeti) but it is very hard to jump major milestones. As discussed in this thread, components seem to follow frames. When tig welding became the norm in the 90s, it made historical groups look mismatched. We are currently seeing that happen again the focus on aero. In my opinion, Campagnolo seems to do a great job at making groups that look fine on the frames that are the norm at release but fantastic with the frames that come out through the rest of the lifecycle. The fun is finding the mismatches that work. Super record 12 speed on a Klein Quantum? Oh, yeah. 9000 on an old Zunow? Yup.