View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 08:09 PM

Digging this one up from 4 years ago. I wanted to chime in with this thread as it just seemed appropriate. However, if the powers that be would like to keep this Campagnolo specific just message me and I’ll start a new thread.

I have a White Industries VBC 48/32 crankset with a White Industries square taper bb with a 113 spindle shifted by a SRAM Force 22 (Yaw) front derailleur. When shifting, my chain is wanting to wedge between the big ring and little ring. It’s happening when dropping the chain down to the small ring from the big ring. The spacers used between teh rings are wide enough to where the chain doesn’t get caught so to speak, it will just ride in between until I shift back up to the big ring. It is fairly sporadic and doesn’t seem to matter too much where I am in the cassette. I need to shift mindfully down into the small ring or I may find the chain between the two rings. FWIW, I read here and there that shifting on the VBC isn’t always as smooth as some may expect, especially if accustomed to modern 11 speed drivetrains.

The chain is proper length, the front derailleur is adjusted “properly”, cables and housing are good, drivetrain has around 550 miles total. I checked the chainring bolts as well as the lockring securing the chainrings to the crank arm, double checked torque on crank arm to make sure it was on the spindle properly, tried another Red 22 chain and double checked that the small ring is oriented properly (which I believe it is). I have tried adjusting the height as well as the rotational angle of the front derailleur, all while trying to not negate the Yaw function. I have the small marked lines on the fore and aft of the derailleur cage aligned properly over the big ring, and height is appropriate. I have used this derailleur for years and has always performed flawlessly. The common denominator here is the VBC crankset, and my own wrenching skills? I’ve set up lots of front derailleurs (Yaw and non) and haven’t had this happen to where I wasn’t able to adjust it out in one way or another. What am I missing?

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this while setting up the VBC crankset. I’m open to suggestions, as I would really like the shifting to be thoughtless as can be. Maybe it won’t be?