View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 01:38 PM
DELETE ACCNT

It's a great system. 200 series has KDSS as well.
With all due respect, the reliability on the GX is stellar. They are mechanically simple, and designed to be easily worked on.
I don't know why you would say the GX is maintenance heavy. I'm very familiar with them and I've never heard that.

I've had no issue with Lexus parts prices being more expensive than Toyota. Usually, they are comparable if there is a Toyota equivalent.

If you're modding, lifting than yes, kdss and airbags will limit you somewhat but as a stock to lightly modded form, I would highly recommend kdss.
KDSS is brilliantly simple.

cv boots leak when the truck is lifted because of the angle and increased articulation out of oem range.
Any issues are minor and compared to any other comparable suv, I would consider the GX trouble-free.

Honestly, just get the best GX in your budget. They are all the same as far as the core mechanicals- meaning that they are all solid reliable, designed to be high mileage, durable ladder frame suv's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Sounds to me you're in the market for an LX and not GX.

But don't get me wrong, the GX's are great. They can be maintenance heavy but if you keep up with that they'll last forever. Because of the emblem you might pay premium in parts but 90% of time Toyo parts will get job done.

CV boots are known to always leak and cause issues, transfer case actuator o rings are known to leak, and their rear suspension with air bag shocks are pretty bad.

Also, get one without KDSS system. It's a hydraulic system that is supposed to help with handling up front but it's just one more system that can fail (and leak). Pretty sure they're most prevalent on 04-09 models.

Exhuast manifolds are another known issue.....and if you ever test drive one, make sure you have transmission shop give the drive train a once over. A lot of these 4x trucks are owned by folks who never take them off road........which is fine, but just because you don't use it doesn't mean you still shouldn't keep up with maintenance.

plus I think '05 and newer added VVTI.......which is niiiiiiice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Interesting to hear you praise the KDSS. In circles I run in everyone seems to bemoan they're existence.

Great tip on the timing belt change. Best and most surefire way to destroy any "new to you" purchase