View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 AM

I leased a Chevy Volt in July of 2018 to see what an EV was all about. My commute is 3.5 miles. I mostly charge at home on the 120v outlet, I can typically get a full charge overnight, which is 53 miles of range on the Volt for me. When I charge at EV charging stations they typically cost me about a $1 per 10 miles of charge. Gas is $3.79 a gallon in my neighborhood right now. I have 12,000 miles on the car so far and I am on my 4th tank of gas.

The Volt has changed the way I drive. I am quite content setting the cruise at 65 in the slow lane and maximizing my range as much as possible, sometimes I draft semis for more range. The farthest I have gone on a charge is 58 miles. My wife loves the change in my driving.

My gripe with the Volt is the sight lines, my high school senior son wont drive it because he hates the sight lines. When my lease runs out I will probably go to a full EV, because my mindset has changed to a point where I hate to burn gas.

I have a cousin in socal that makes trips to Portland on a regular basis in his Model S Tesla, he has all his charging stops mapped out for coffee, lunch etc where he sits down and reads a book until the car has enough range to get him to next stop.