View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I am less active these days with birding & photography but I really do love birds.

This is probably the picture of mine I'm most proud of in terms of birds. Wild Barred Owl... IIRC this was my old Canon 5D + 300mm f/4 lens + 1.4x Tele Converter. I am way more proud of actually spotting the damn thing. My wife and I were snowshoeing and we spotted this owl. In our area you hear them constantly but they are incredibly hard to spot. We have a pretty large print of this (12"x18" matted & framed) in our living room and it gets a lot of compliments.

very nice

i've never seen an owl since I started, though I know that they are around, as one hoots quite often

out of curiosity, do you ever feel that you need more reach with a 300 mm lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
When its below freezing, having a little suet feeder is great for those guys. I think it is a red bellied woodpecker, which doesn't have a red belly, curiously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
its a yellowhammer...state bird of Alabama...also called a yellow-bellied sapsucker.

the hawk from the OP looks like an immature red-tail, way too big to be a Cooper's.
I'm pretty sure that the woodpecker is a red bellied woodpecker. One has to really observe closely to see the small patch of red on belly of the bird.

I'd like to catch a glimpse of this fellow: the red-headed woodpecker. But they are quite rare

and I think you and @nighthawk are probably right that it's a red-tailed hawk. the bird was quite large. Also a bit funny that this is the only hawk i've observed since I started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
My wife and I started feeding about three months ago...nothing complicated....a plate on the porch railing in front of the living room window...it has been amazing how fast word got out and we are now going thru 100 pounds of seed per month...the array of birds we are getting is incredible...just got a box of 20 suet cakes for the winter they are digging as well...good stuff!
nicely done (though i'd imagine schlepping 100 pounds of seed is no fun)

I kept on telling my partner that we'll get feeders set up one of these days. It's really cold here in Wisconsin, and I think the birds really do need it. Doesn't hurt that I may get a few chances to get that cardinal(s) in the snow shot that I really would like to take. Only downside is that we'll have to be really diligent at cleaning...

Last edited by echappist; 11-20-2019 at 04:35 PM.