View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Sometimes I feel like I walk into a time machine when I come to this forum.

I could care less about the opinion of middle age dudes, what do women in the sport and women in general think about this?
Amen!

--
The subtext of a lot of the comments I read is that a man has decided to change his sex to a woman in order to be on the podium.

I think that's bull . . . a friend/coworker is trans. They (pronoun of choice) have spoken a lot about the transition and how complex it is — emotional, medical, etc.

Learning about this stuff I cannot imagine that any person puts themselves in harm's way just FTW. And, FTR, harm's way goes beyond medical/emotional extending to transphobic bullying, assault, suicide and murder.
--

Of course, all of these "discussions" hide behind the idea that "We're just worried about what's fair for the 'real' women in pro races" and that we "need to protect women's interests." (I'm using quotes because I have actually heard men say this and seen it posted in forums and article comments — not because I'm being snarky or sarcastic.)

I think that if that were the case we'd have just as many multi-page threads (and article comments) about paying pro Women living wages and ensuring that they receive health insurance. (We can start there and forget about the other benefits that women don't get). Surly, access to medical care and having the ability to afford it is more important than who's on the top step.

Maybe I'm really wrong here. If so, I'd love to find out why from someone with actual skin in the game.

--