View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I see some folks have converted to 650 for bigger tires. Well, I'm looking to keep my 700c wheels but want to run 32mm tires...and my frame and fork has the clearance...so what brake caliper will work for me? I'm running DA 9000 calipers now which clears 28c tires, but 32s are too wide. And I've looked at Tektro's website and see lots of long reach calipers, but I can't tell what "short" reach models will be able to clear. Velo-Orange brakes look nice, but their 170 bucks and again, they're designed for long reach or 650b wheels/tires.

So, you guys that are running wide tires on 700c rims, what ya using?
To reiterate what others have said - long and mid reach calipers aren't the issue here.

The biggest question is what do you mean by "clear?" I've been able to squeeze GP4000s 28mm on 23mm inner width rims that had actual measurements of 31mm width and 29mm height from rim edge into SRAM Red Aerolink brakes, but there was roughly 1mm of clearance all around (not safe considering wheel flex) and I had to deflate the tires to get them through around the pads. Also, the brake bridge on the bike I was trying them on seemed to be higher than normal, thus gave some extra clearance to work with. The max width between the pads is only about 30mm when fully opened, but after you clear the pads there is a good amount of space.

If I remember correctly, same experiment on DA9100 brakes I measured a 31mm max width opening between the pads when fully opened, but the height was very low, like 25mm high, so to fully put the wheel in had to close the brake. When closed it looked like the largest width between the pads was roughly 28mm, so wider rims could have a problem. And above the pads there was roughly 1mm of clearance all around.

In other words - it depends. But most latest-gen standard mount brakes are really only consistently good for 28mm actual width and height.

I have a set of R8000 calipers lying around, will try to measure opening width when I have the chance.