View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Yes, but..... for many the payoff is big too. The key is to have quality guidance. Too many folks will spend the yuge $$$ but have no chance of a quality job. There are flight schools that’ll take all your money. Happily. Knowing you aren’t employable.

The reputable ones will pull you aside early and let you know to pursue other paths in life.

And professional aviation (read MAJOR airlines) is much more about timing and luck than skill.
Tell me about it..I sent out about 2 dozen requests for applications...in late 1992 and got one application, from United, cuz I had a guy on the inside.

I interviewed with a pile of Flying Tiger guys, right after FT went under..some where 747 Captains..

Didn't get hired... Was told outright by American I was too old, "we only hire potential Captains", and a guy at AA said, "10 years to Captain and we want you there for 10 years"..I was 42..mandatory retire at the time..60 YO.

Also told by Customs I was too old to apply..35 YO max...FAA had hiring freeze.....so..into the bike biz...

BUT..cannot fly..way too much $ to turn AVGAS into noise in some bugsmasher(172 'about' $100 per hour)...Tried for a while but even $200-$300 per month(3 hours) way too much...