View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
The Y is the new crossover of the 3 which is due in 2021 or 22. The roadster is something new and due later.

He can hit the extended mileage now if they designed away the trunk to add battery capacity. The curb weight of the car will just have to increase by 1000 lbs or so which will hurt the handling.

Panasonic has already tweaked the chemistry and packaging (the real innovation in my opinion) to increase efficiency. Battery chemistry is not new and I'd be very skeptical about getting 100% increase in efficiency with some new discovery. Up until now, his increase mileage has largely come from increase the amount of battery directly increasing the weight of the car. The weight difference between the 40Kwh S and the 100kwh S (P100D) is 630lbs with a mileage difference of 196miles. If you try to push the chemistry too much in the battery, you eventually get thermal runaway and boom. It's a problem tesla is aware of and have filed various patents to try and solve. It also can happen if you have a rupture and short circuit in the battery.
I agree at some point increasing the battery size becomes counter production in overall performance and handling. personally a new battery type breakthrough is what is needed to make electric cars more mainstay. it has been rumored for years that that is just around the corner, however it has not happened to date. let's keep our fingers crossed!