View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
One of the great American myths is self-reliance. The rugged individual who pulls themselves up by their bootstraps. And yes, those folks exist. But I wonder how many there really are? And how many of us keep our ***** together because of others? Because of structure and support and care? Are we 'strong' because of the strength around us? If we lost our moorings and bearings and the walls and hands supporting us, where would we be?
I'm fairly well off. Not much chance of being homeless any time soon (knock on wood). Good job, a little savings, doing ok. How did I do it? Simple - DFL. Dumb F'ing Luck. If I hadn't had the parents I had, the chances I had, the help I had, I shudder to think where I might be.
About 12 years ago, my life was headed for the crapper. Job flushing, relationship gone, finances not good. Again, I got lucky and fell in feathers instead of crap. Looking back, the distance between the two piles was very, very small. If things had gone even a little different, I don't know what would have happened to me. By the grace of God, as they say. The cushion is frighteningly small.